Saturday, August 7, 2010

Things are rollin' now!

Things are rockin' and rollin' on the farm now. We will be busy busy with harvest from here on out. Last week the guys started picking cucumbers which makes the lady of the house very very happy. Beets and turnips were picked for the CSA's. I believe Mike said about 300 pounds of each. Summer squash is starting to be picked. Green beans and something new for us, purple beans, are both being picked. Kind of sad about this one because I really really need to can green beans this year and my stove is broke and waiting to be fixed. Not an opportune moment to break for sure! AND sweet corn is finally on!!!!!!!!! Mike picked about 20 dozen for the Jefferson market around lunchtime on Friday. Then went back out to the field and picked 98 dozen more by himself for the markets this weekend. I know he said they sold all 40 dozen of the corn he took to Penisula today. For all you Mini Mirai sweet corn fans out there, that should be ready for next week's market. If you have not tasted this corn, you must. I can honestly say that Mirai sweet corn is the best tasting variety bar none and we grow many many different varieties. We get compliments on all, but the compliments from folks buying the mini Mirai corn are ALWAYS over the top!


mmmmmmmmmmmmmm summer squash

Friday night I got home from work and found out two of our workers skipped out around 5-6pm without telling anyone. Rumor has it they were tired. Three guesses who is going to get a talking to next week when they are back at work and the first two guesses don't count. I felt so bad for Ed as he was trying to finish everything by himself. So after chores I told him I would help out (something I rarely do on Fridays) and so we loaded up the corn and squash and headed over to our "sister" farm Covered Bridge Gardens. They have the cooler that is used to store all the produce. The wash line and scales are over there too. Ed washed squashed while I finished up putting purple beans into quart containers. Here is Ed carrying a couple crates of quarted up purple beans to the cooler. And he's smiling! What a great kid! It was getting close to 9pm and he had put in a long day to be sure. Mike meanwhile was busy packing up the sprouts. Kay was bagging up fresh basil. Mick and Steve were starting to load the truck for the morning. Busy busy beavers.

mmmmmmmmmmm fresh basil. Can I just stand here and smell this? Basil and dill are my two favorite herbs. Kay is the one who grows the herbs. I need to go "steal" a bag from her. hehehe!

I skidaddled from the Covered Bridge Gardens party and headed home around 9:15pm. Had to lock up the chickens and start supper. Dinner at 10pm, again. What else is new.

Mick and Kay man the Bridge Street market in Ashtabula Harbor tomorrow on Sunday. Then the markets are done for the week and we start all over on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment