Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Thank goodness for leftovers

I have a friend who told me once that her husband will absolutely not eat leftovers for a meal. Really? Never thought there were people who would not eat leftovers. Now no worry about wasting though because my friend just takes their leftovers for her lunch at work. But in our house, we survive on leftovers during the week. With the unusually hot weather, I had actually been in some what of a I-don't-feel-like-cooking slump. Nutritional value of meals does seem to suffer when I don't cook. Thank goodness for a slight break in the weather this past weekend. I was cooking to my heart's content all weekend which has left us with a fridge full of leftovers. They have come in handy so far this week.

Actually, I am not even typing straight I am so tired. Had one of those crazy days at work. I have a job that involves hardly any sitting. On the go all day. We were extremely short staffed today. Most days I do get a decent lunch. Not today. 10 minutes. Oh boy. Grocery shopping after work. Poultry chores. Finally a little after 7pm I thought I might get to sit down. Went to make dinner and wanted to make a salad. No tomatoes. I'm sorry, I cannot make a salad without tomatoes. Mike thought there might be a few cherry tomatoes ready, but wasn't sure. We have not harvested any tomatoes yet this year. So off I go for a walk back to the garden. Of course I had to take the scenic route to check out the watermelon and broccoli. But lo and behold, I came back to the house with ................

our first cherry tomatoes of the year. Tasted oh so good in the salad that accompanied the leftover pasta and goat cheese marinara sauce.

I had to make one detour on the way back to the house though. I had dropped the beagles off at the creek behind the house about an hour earlier and they had been running a rabbit (or two or three) for that entire hour. I actually had to go track them down in the neighbor's woods next to us. Fortunately it is not hard to find two beagles who are barking loudly at a rabbit track.

Mike had a busy farming day. Got a nice order from the fine folks at Fresh Fork. 450 pounds of green beans which Mike and the boys picked, boxed and got in the cooler this afternoon. Tomorrow morning will be up early to pick 220 dozen ears of sweet corn before the Fresh Fork folks come to pick up their produce later in the morning.

Blessed are the busy summer days, but the body doth protest some. Looking forward to resting my head on my pillow tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment