Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What was I thinking

As I have written before, I do attempt to stay out of the vegetable farming part of the business as best I can. Between my full time job and taking care of the poultry, I am time challenged enough as it is. Mike asked me if sometime this week, I would ride the transplanter alongside Ed and get the last of the late broccoli planted. The other two high school boys that work for us are at a sports camp this week and the planting job needed to get done so I said ok. It had rained so much over the weekend, that the plan was to wait until later this week after the field dried out a bit. But the weather forecast for later this week is for more rain, so when I got home from work tonight at 7:15pm, Mike greeted me with the news that tonight was the night for planting. We only had an hour of work to do, but I had forgotten just how muddy one can get while riding the transplanter. I think 3 of the last 4 days I have taken two showers in a day.

I have more pictures from the field that I took on Sunday after the rain. While I was in the field tonight, just two days later, I can't believe how much everything has changed. I'll throw up a few pictures, but truly, I cannot keep up with how fast things are growing.

The early sweet corn is looking REALLY good. The plants are now taller than me. That does not always happen with early varieties of corn. Mike found a little coon damage today and one ear with a huge bite out of it. Deer? Usually they are not a big nuisance to the sweet corn. At least not as bad as the raccoons and blackbirds are. We will have to keep tabs on this.




The cucumbers are growing like weeds. This picture was from Sunday afternoon after it had rained all morning. Tonight I found little one inch cucumbers all over the place. Jumping up and down for joy!


A few cherry tomatoes are starting to turn. Not quite ripe enough to eat, but ......... Mike doesn't often ask me to pick tomatoes because when I pick cherry tomatoes, it goes something like this. One of the bucket , one for my mouth. Two for the bucket, one for my mouth. It can take awhile to pick this way. Oh, but they are so good right off the plant!

That's the Tuesday update. Don't blink because things are changing quickly here on the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment