Saturday, July 3, 2010

Farm and Family

Can you tell it has been a crazy week? I really should post a little at least every other night because this farm is busy and now there is a lot of catching up on the week's activities.

Planting is finished! Whoo hoo! The boys finished up on Thursday July 1st. What a crazy planting season. Not the latest we have ever finished, but far from normal. Final count is over 400 flats of plants. Actually there is some late broccoli left to go in, but Mike has not even picked up those flats yet (that job is coming up tomorrow). If I get motivated tomorrow, I'll take a stroll back to the fields and see what is happening.

Friday's are ALWAYS crazy on the farm during market season. The boys picked blueberries and onions for the market. They also started driving tomato stakes. I'll try to get some pictures up in the next couple days.

Friday was crazy for me too. Of course I have my usual chores taking care of the poultry and working at the clinic, but then I had to come home and bake for my family reunion that was today. I went out to the blueberry bushes to pick some fresh blueberries. Then I made a blueberry cheesecake pie and hard boiled and peeled eggs for deviled eggs. Stupid me forgot to set some eggs aside a couple weeks ago so I had to use fresh (as in laid 2 days ago) eggs. If anyone has tried to boil and peel fresh eggs, then you know it can be a challenge. Seemed to take forever. By the time I got done with my stuff and Mike got done with his stuff, we both sat down to a dinner of grilled burgers and baked beans at 9:30pm. It felt SO good to sit down.

This morning was up early and get busy. Mike was up at 5am and gone by 6am to head to market. I got up a little after him to finish making the deviled eggs. Amazing what piping in the filling with a cake decorator and putting them on a decorative plate does to hide the crappy shell peeling job on 2 day old eggs. *grin*

Then outside to do poultry chores. What a joy it is to be outside on a beautiful summer morning and walk out to the "pasture" to feed the meat chickens. They are actually in our yard, but we have a BIG yard as in around 4 acres so they are not all that close to the house. Here's a view looking back at the house from where the meat chickens are out on the grass.

Then walking back to the house, here comes one of the laying hens walking up the sidewalk to the front door. They are so bad sometimes! Not that I mind though. I just don't think I ever thought when I was growing up that I would have chickens hanging around my front porch some day.


After chores it was off to the clinic to work until noon. I decided that the blueberry cheesecake pie needed a little something added for presentation so I ran to the store to get some raspberries. The raspberries and a little whipped cream gave a nice red, white and blue Fourth of July theme to the dessert. I didn't get to the family reunion until after most everyone had eaten. I swear I barely set the pie down and went to get my camera and pieces started disappearing.


Mike and I enjoyed our time over at my sister's house at the family reunion. Lots of good food and company as usual. It was nice to just sit back and relax. Perfect weather too. Hard to believe that I have not yet seen a fawn out and about on the farm, but sitting in the back yard in suburbia, we got to watch a pair of fawns on the sidewalk across the street from my sister's house.
Tomorrow, I swear I am going to spend a good chunk of the day doing nothing! I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment