Monday, July 12, 2010

Of concerts and rain and things that break

Time to catch up on the happenings of the past three days. First up is Saturday. I was fortunate enough to be able to go have fun at the Zac Brown Band/Dave Matthews Band concert in Pittsburgh. I am a huge Zac Brown Band fan so I was in total ecstasy watching them as the opening act. I enjoyed watching DMB, but I just don't get the excitement from them as I do from ZBB. Still, it was a fun trip to P'burgh with family. Live music is one of my favorite forms of entertainment and it was a perfect summer evening. Mike got to work at market Saturday morning. Ah, such is the life of a farmer. He did have something kind of funny happen later in the evening. He went out to feed the laying hens and found a baby possum curled up sleeping in the pen. It must have wandered into the pen in search of food on Friday evening when the doors were open and got trapped inside when I locked the chickens up after dark. So it had been in the pen all night Friday and all day Saturday. Good thing it wasn't an adult because they have been known to kill chickens.
***********************************************************************************
Sunday. Mike and I get up by at least 6:30-7am every Sunday morning. I do chicken chores and then make us a bacon and egg breakfast. It's a rare Sunday that we skip this routine. Then mid morning, if nothing else is going on, I go back to bed for a couple hours. I call this "sleeping in". I guess most people would call sleeping in getting up at 8 or 9am, but I have animals that need tended to so my sleep just gets interrupted by a few hours of being awake. The net result is the same. Mike went outside to use the tiller to get ground ready for planting more green beans and maybe one last planting of sweet corn. When he left the house after breakfast, the forecast was for zero chance of rain. So a few hours of field work later, he was surprised when he saw lightning in the sky. He was deciding if he should leave the field or not when the tiller made a loud bang and started smelling like something burning. Broken! Well, that made the decision for him. He got inside just before the thundershower hit and the sky dumped a half inch of rain on us. So much for no chance of rain. But we did need the rain and besides, I was happily napping in bed and listening to the gentle thundershower outside the window. Now that is a beautiful feeling.
************************************************************************************
Monday. Mike took the broken tiller up to the guy that fixes those things. He brought back the string trimmer that broke a week ago and needed repair. My little lawn tractor that had broke for a second time a couple weeks ago came back to the farm today too. But because karma always seems to want to keep things in balance, the day could not end with one broken thing leaving to be fixed and two fixed things coming back to the farm. During afternoon chores, I walked out to the little out building where we keep our large upright freezer. The thing is older than dirt and we always knew the day would come when it would break, but the way it was found broken today was unexpected. I had not been in that room since sometime middle of last week. Sometime between then and now, the magnet on the door failed and the door swung wide open. Wish I could put scratch and sniff on this post. Just think rotting meat and flies. Yes, it was gross. So after supper, we threw out everything that was in the freezer and cleaned up the mess. We had fun talking about the grossest things we had ever done in our lives. This was not at the top of our lists, but it was up there. So tomorrow Mike gets to go buy us a new freezer. Oh, and we lost probably 200 pounds of meat. All of it was raised on the farm, i.e. nothing store bought. In fact, I buy meat at the store maybe once a month and that is just to buy some pork or other meat that we don't raise. So now I guess I'll be shopping the meat sales at the store. We lost some frozen vegetables too, but not as much. Although I did JUST freeze 3 quarts of blueberries 2 weeks ago. All gone. Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment