Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tomatoes - check!

The beat goes on and the planting continues. Sorry I missed the fun in the sun today guys! Man, it was hot and sticky today. I thought about the guys often as I worked in my air conditioned office today. At least they were riding the transplanter and not driving tomato stakes or something like that. They did good though. All 2500 tomato plants are now in the ground. The stakes aren't in yet ("stole" this picture from last year), but they are in the ground, finally. Thanks so much to Mitch for working for us today while we are down a couple employees. Rain came late this afternoon and more may make it here overnight so as so often happens in farming, tomorrow's work is wait and see dependent on the weather.



Good news though when I got home from work this afternoon. My Wheel Horse tractor is back after spending a week in the "hospital". That little tractor is a work horse for sure. It got retired from lawn mowing duty after the zero-turn came to live with us several years back, but it still works hard for a living. In the summer, I use it to pull a little wagon that carries feed and water for the meat chickens that are out on pasture. Since the tractor has been gone, I've been using a wheelbarrow. Let me just say that I am a happy happy camper to have that little tractor back home.

The evening ended with a nice dinner at home to celebrate Mike's birthday. I made one of his favorite meals: steaks on the grill, baked potato, corn (yes, I still have a little bit left from what I froze from the farm last year) and ice cream cake for dessert. Let me just say that it is a real treat to eat a steak once in awhile. I'll bet 90-95% of the meat we eat comes from the farm and we don't raise cows. So eating beef is something special in our house and that's how a birthday dinner should be. Something special.

No comments:

Post a Comment