Sunday, August 15, 2010

Easy like Sunday morning

Sundays. The traditional day of rest on the farm. I love Sundays. Most Sundays I have nowhere to go and all day to get there. Animals still need to be fed, but instead of setting the alarm to wake me up at 5:15am, I wake up naturally which is somewhere around 6:30-7am. That feeling of waking up when your body wants to wake up is precious.

After chores, I always make breakfast for Mike and I. Usually it consists of bacon and eggs, toast and orange juice, but this morning since I had fresh blueberries on hand, I decided on blueberry pancakes. I had some buttermilk in the fridge too which is unusual so I used some of that. And last year we grew wheat on the farm and had some ground into flour to sell, so I used some of that. I took a basic pancake recipe changed quite a few things as it turned out and came up with this recipe. I'll call it Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes for Two.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp milled flax seed
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp melted butter
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Mix whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, milled flax seed and sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Whisk together milk, buttermilk, egg and butter. Add dry ingredients until just mixed. You can add a little more flour to make a thicker batter if you'd like, but let the batter sit for 10 minutes or so first. The whole wheat flour takes a little more time to absorb the liquid so it will thicken some as it stands. Fold blueberries gently into batter.

Heat a greased skillet over medium heat. Drop 1/4c portions of batter onto the skillet. Flip pancakes when bubbles appear at the surface and the edges look somewhat dry. Finish cooking until both sides are golden brown. This recipe made 11 small pancakes. More than enough for two, but Mike and I did just fine finishing them all off. Used some real maple syrup that we bought from one of the local dairy farmers that makes his own. Yum!

After breakfast the rest of Sunday is whatever I please. It may be cleaning the house, or mowing the yard or it might be going to a family cookout or a country music show. Anyway you look at it, Sundays are a nice change of pace from the hectic work week.

No comments:

Post a Comment