Saturday, July 17, 2010

How does your garden grow?

I finally got a chance to mosey back to the garden and take pictures of the progress of things. I picked two quarts of blueberries to start replacing the ones ruined in the great freezer mishap. That is about all that is left of the early and mid season varieties. One more variety to go. Should be ready to start picking next week. I don't know how many we will have to sell as I need to replace what I lost first.

Mike was busy disking up some ground to get a late sweet corn planting. He always does a small late patch because some years, if we have a late frost, we've been able to pick sweet corn in October.



Now for everyone who is reading this and lives in points south of here, no shaking your head at how small the plants still are the third week of July. This is the frigid north of Ohio after all. We can never plant tender crops until after June 1 because of freeze danger. And this year was really late because of endless rain in early June. But in spite of the late start, everything is starting to really take off in this heat and humidity. So here is a little look see of how everything is looking as of July 17th.

Cantaloupe. Big difference from just a couple weeks ago, eh? Tons of blossoms. I couldn't find any fruit yet, but so far, the melons are doing great.





Green beans. Man, I love green beans. I only have two or three jars of home canned beans left from last year. I just love to steam them when they are fresh the best.





Broccoli. My favorite vegetable. Give me some steamed fresh broccoli on my dinner plate and I am in heaven.





Peas. Not a big pea fan here, but I know a lot of people love them. There is some ragweed growing in the rows, but the cultivator pulled by the tractor keeps weeds from growing inbetween the rows. Remember we are minimal spray farm. We only spray if a crop is threatened and then use the safest product. This is a family run farm. We work in these fields and eat what we grow. So whenever we can, we use the cultivator or grow plants on plastic to control weeds.


Squash. Zucchini and yellow. I love squash too. Can you believe Mike does not like to eat squash? What is up with that? *grin* In typical squash fashion, once these plants start really taking off, they will grow quickly.




Baby tomato! Yeah! I did have to look awhile to find one, but there were a few. Wish they would hurry up because my supply that Mike brought home with him on his last trip to Marietta is almost gone.



Cucumbers. Is there not anything better than a fresh picked cucumber? I can't even believe that I buy those soft wrinkled things the grocery stores try to pass off as cucumbers during the winter. I do though. Just because. But I SO look forward to fresh ones in the summer.


SWEET CORN! WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! Wasn't it only a week or so ago that I posted pics and it was just a little bit taller than the dog? Well the corn is tassling and the ears are starting to form. Just a little bit more waiting. So hard to do.


There's more back there, but that's all the pics for now. The peppers still look a little stressed from the transplanting. The watermelon is starting to grow better. Cauliflower is doing well. Won't be long until we have produce galore. You just have to love summer and its bounty!

1 comment:

  1. It's good to see everything growing well in the heat this summer. I hope you got some rain Saturday night ... it's been dry lately. I visited Peter's Creek Farm at Shaker Square Saturday and bought some green beens but it was from your partner farm not from Peter's Creek.

    ReplyDelete